Did Tobaccoville Get Its Name?
was named for a plug chewing tobacco factory owned and operated
in the 1870's by Charles Orrender. The factory was located on
what is now Doral Drive, one mile south of the present day post
office at the Tobaccoville crossroads. This area was the mail
route of a 4-horse stagecoach from Mt. Airy to Winston-Salem,
which changed horses at Donnaha and forded the Little Yadkin River.
When the river water was high, the horses were forced to swim,
and the mail was frequently lost. People regularly gathered in
the area to watch the stagecoach come and go.
Orrender Tobacco Factory was the principal landmark in the area,
and the name "Tobaccoville" was suggested for the post
office. Charles Orrender was commissioned as the first postmaster
of Tobaccoville on October 1, 1887. Eight postmasters have since
the railroad was built, the post office was moved to be near the
railroad, and it became a popular gathering place. People came
on Sunday afternoons just to see who got on and off the train.
The railroad brought much activity to the community
- Incorporated 1991
the possibility of forced annexation by King was a starting point,
the Tobaccoville community's desire to maintain its identity and
preserve its heritage as a community was the real motivation of
the campaign to incorporate in 1990. On July 22, 1990, a Planning
Committee was formed to resist the annexation by the adjacent
City of King. This would be the first step toward incorporation.
Incorporation was seen as the only way to prevent absorption by
another municipality and to preserve the integrity of Tobaccoville.
On July 27, 1990, an Incorporation Steering Committee was formed.
The committee enlisted the support of R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Company
who had chosen Tobaccoville as the home of its newest, largest,
and most modern cigarette manufacturing facility. RJR wanted to
remain part of Tobaccoville and opposed the annexation move as
much as the residents of Tobaccoville.
compromise agreement between the City of King, R. J. Reynolds
Tobacco Company, and the Tobaccoville Incorporation Steering Committee
resolved the controversial issues concerning all parties and insured
a fiscal future for the Village of Tobaccoville. RJR agreed to
allow annexation by the City of King a narrow strip of land along
one third of its property, including the factory's electric power
plant. Tobaccoville's boundaries extend through a narrow strip
of land along two-thirds of the plant site. Both King and Tobaccoville
amended their charters and agreed not to attempt annexation of
RJR's Tobaccoville facility for a period of 40 years. The revenue
from RJR means the Village Council can operate with a five-cent
June 5, 1991, a bill for a referendum on incorporation was passed
by the North Carolina General Assembly. Residents in the area
of incorporation voted in favor of that incorporation on August
15, 1991. On November 5, 1991, Henry M. Beck was elected the first
Mayor of Tobaccoville. Also on that day the first Village Council
was elected, consisting of H. Terry Shore, Lena F. Hauser, R.
Kenneth Bradstock, and Grover R. Blackburn.
first census was completed in December, 1991, and the official
count was 1,025. Due to several voluntary annexations over the
years, the current population is 2,637.
garbage collection and recycling service began in January, 1992.
Initial projects included street lighting, fire hydrants, street
paving, and the development of The Village Park.